Tuesday 22 March 2011

Lacking the will to work and sensory overload..

I am hearing too many things, one ear is 50’s rock and/or roll and the SFX of a baseball zombie mash up game, the other is film previews. The music I can dig, the rest maybe not…
And now the new receptionists are bothering us with silly queries.

Anyway back to blogging, been trying to write a bit of a review on XCOM considering the new game will be out for the 360 soon, and it looks awesome, but after trouble getting it too work on my laptop followed a brief session or two on D’s laptop I have come to a startlingly simple and short conclusion, It’s pissing HARD.

So instead I have prepared a few words on pocket monsters, these fluffy (scaly, bristly, pixely) little creatures have taken the world pretty much in storm. I mean sure their popularity has wavered slightly, there merely bestsellers now, while the initial games strode astride the world like gods.

Now, I have been a fan since Pokemon red and I have more or less owned at least one of every pairing since then but the issue I have with the later games is that they are trying a little too hard. The first three where simple things, you collect, you fight, you own the world. Now there are beauty competitions, wifi connectivity and flashy four way video conferencing. I want to fight monsters, not plan a corporate takeover. I think a big part of the lack of sheen is to do with the constant reinvention of the pokedex and its contents, do we really need over 150 extra beasts? Well yeah, I suppose Game Freak need to introduce new pokemon to keep the series alive and full of new life, but I miss the old ones, the ones I know and love. My old friends.

My team and I have problems, two of them I like. The rest I care not what becomes of them, they faint and I don’t care enough to even bother with a sigh of indifference. Can I complete the game with two pocket monsters? I doubt it, I’m rocking ground and fire the first water gym I encounter will be serving me up a nice tall glass of pixel death. But the other ilk are just so boring one of them is a pigeon, a fucking pigeon.

Right that’s it, I’m off to find a game boy pocket and my copy of Pokemon Yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment